Corisco Bay, Equatorial Guinea/Gabon, mid-19th cent.


Click on the image to open a larger version in a new window.
previous image return to thumbnails next image

If you are interested in using this image, please consult Acknowledging the Website.

This record was last updated on 28 Feb 2011

Image Reference
UVA21

Source
Drawings of Western Africa (University of Virginia Library, Special Collections, MSS 14357, no. 3).

Comments
Pencil and crayon. Captioned, “Corisco Bay & its surroundings—40 miles from North to South. 20 miles from East to West.” A rough map of Corisco Bay from Cape Esterias and the Gabon River in the south to Cape St. John and Batanga Bay in the north. Corisco Island is in the center of the bay, between Cape St. John and Cape Esterias, with the Elobi (Elobey) islands to the northeast. A French fort and a mission station, identified as ABCFM (i.e., American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions) are shown on Cape Esterias, at the northern estuary of the Gabon River. An inset drawing in the lower left gives a view of Corisco Island, as seen from the west. Several mission stations are identified: from left to right, Alingo (Elongo), an unidentified name, and Evangosimba (Evangasimba); located approximately a mile distant is the small island of Laval. The American Presbyterian Church had established a mission on Corisco Island in 1850. Its first station was at Evangasimba, on the island's western side, followed not long after by Ugobi, two miles away toward the southern end, and then Elongo, three miles distant on the island's northern end (Historical Sketches of the Missions . . . of the Presbyterian Church [Philadelphia, 1891], pp. 20-21; R.H. Nassau, A History of the Presbytery of the Corisco (Trenton, N.J., 1888), pp. 5-11). This is one of 22 works displayed on this website of West African coastal scenes -- out of a total of 32 -- held by University of Virginia Library. None of the works is dated or signed, and they seem to have been done by at least two different persons (perhaps associated with missionary activities in West Africa and/or the American Colonization Society). See also other image references “UVA” on this website.