Moravian (United Brethren) Mission Station, St. Croix, Danish West Indies, 1768


Click on the image to open a larger version in a new window.
previous image return to thumbnails next image

If you are interested in using this image, please consult Acknowledging the Website.

Image Reference
NW0043

Source
C. G. A. Oldendorp, Geschichte der Mission der Evangelischen Bruder auf den Caraibischen Inseln S. Thomas, S. Croix und S. Jan (Leipzig, 1777); illustration is folded before title page. (Copy in the John Carter Brown Library at Brown University)

Comments
Caption, "Friedensthal on St. Croix on a Prayer Day. "Woodcut engraving of the Moravian Mission Station at Friedensthal, St. Croix. The church is to the left, the living quarters of the missionaries in the background; a "Negro hut" is shown on the right. Black congregants are seen entering the mission for a religious service. Oldendorp was in the West Indies in 1767-1769. For a modern edition that is copiously indexed, edited by J. J. Bossard and translated into English by A. R. Highfield and V. Barac, see "C.G.A. Oldendorp's History of the mission of the evangelical brethren on the Caribbean islands of St. Thomas, St. Croix, and St. John" (Karoma Publishers, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1987).