"Le Negre Marron" (The Black Maroon), Port-au-Prince, Haiti, 1970


Click on the image to open a larger version in a new window.
previous image return to thumbnails next image

If you are interested in using this image, please consult Acknowledging the Website.

This record was last updated on 02 Jul 2012

Image Reference
NW0229

Source
Jerome Handler, personal collection; slide taken April 1970 (copyright, Jerome Handler)

Comments
"Le Negre Marron" (The Black Maroon; in creole, "Neg Mawon"), often translated in English as the "Unknown Slave" statue; on the boulevard "Champ de Mars" with Haiti's presidential palace in background. The "Negre Marron" is shown with left leg extended (broken chain on his ankle); a machete (partially hidden by flower wreaths) is in his right hand, and his left hand holds a conch shell to his lips. The conch shell was often used as a trumpet to assemble people. Created by the Haitian sculptor/architect, Albert Mangones (1917-2002) in 1968 or 1969, the statue was commissioned by the Duvalier government to commemorate the slaves who revolted against France. (Thanks to several respondants on Caribbean List Serve, including Lorraine Mangones, the sculptor's daughter, for information on the statue). The wreaths in this photograph were laid by the South Korean Ambassador who had presented his credentials shortly before the photograph was taken. An up-date: Le Negre Marron survived the horrible earthquake of 12 January 2010, although the presidential palace was destroyed (Thanks to Robert Fatton for this information).