St. Georges Castle at Elmina and St. Jago, Gold Coast, late 17th cent.


Click on the image to open a larger version in a new window.
previous image return to thumbnails next image

If you are interested in using this image, please consult Acknowledging the Website.

This record was last updated on 16 Aug 2010

Image Reference
2-589b

Source
Based on Jean Barbot, A Description of the Coasts of North and South Guinea and D. O. Dapper, Description de l'Afrique . . . Traduite du Flamand (Amsterdam,1686; 1st ed., 1668), in Thomas Astley (ed.), A New General Collection of Voyages and Travels (London, 1745-47), vol. 2, plate 61, facing p. 589. (Copy in Special Collections, University of Virginia Library)

Comments
View of both forts from the sea; European and African shipping in foreground. Elmina, on the left, also called at one time St. George d'el Mina; small fort on the right is St. Jago (Coenraadsburg). This illustration also appears in Awnsham and John Churchill, A Collection of Voyages (London, 1732; vol. 5, plate 8, p. 156) in the translation of Barbot's late 17th century account.