Annamaboe Castle, Gold Coast, late 17th cent.


Click on the image to open a larger version in a new window.
previous image return to thumbnails next image

If you are interested in using this image, please consult Acknowledging the Website.

This record was last updated on 09 Aug 2010

Image Reference
2-608a

Source
Thomas Astley (ed.), A New General Collection of Voyages and Travels (London, 1745-47), vol. 2, plate 64, facing p. 608. (Copy in Special Collections, University of Virginia Library)

Comments
View from the sea; places identified by letters are the "landing place"; "port within ye rocks"; and "entry of ye port." Annamaboe was a major English slaving station on the Gold Coast during the 17th century. In the 1690s, an account of the Royal African Company's forts in West Africa reported that the facilities at Annamaboe included "twelve great guns . . . . a large tank or cistern . . . and a Negroe-house for one hundred and fifty Negroes. This fort . . . opens a trade . . . for gold, corn, palm-oyl and oyster-shells; also a very great trade for slaves" (A Particular of the Royal African Company's Forts and Castles in Africa [London, ca. 1698]). By the 1770s, it was reported that "almost every room in the fort is in a rotten, ruinous condition . . . very little slave trade at present" (Extracts from an account of the state of the British forts, on the Gold Coast of Africa [London, 1778]). This illustration appears in Awnsham and John Churchill, A Collection of Voyages (London, 1732; vol. 5, plate 13, p. 176) in the translation of Barbot's late 17th century account.