Fort Nassau (Mowri), Gold Coast, late 17th cent.


Click on the image to open a larger version in a new window.
previous image return to thumbnails next image

If you are interested in using this image, please consult Acknowledging the Website.

Image Reference
LCP-56

Source
John Barbot, A Description of the coasts of North and South-Guinea . . . Now first printed from his original manuscript, In Awnsham and John Churchill (compilers), Collection of Voyages (London, 1732), vol. 5, plate 12, p. 175. (Copy in Library Company of Philadelphia; also, Special Collections Department, University of Virginia Library)

Comments
View from the sea; note surrounding African town. Originally built by the Dutch in 1624, at the time of Barbot's writing, it was "almost square, the front somewhat larger than the other sides . . . . It has . . .twenty-four guns; the garrison being forty white men, besides the hired blacks" (pp. 174-175). Barbot was "Agent-General of the Royal Company of Africa." See P.E.H. Hair, Adam Jones, and Robin Law, eds., Barbot on Guinea: The Writings of Jean Barbot on West Africa 1678-1712 (London: The Hakluyt Society, 1992). A version of this illustration was later published in Thomas Astley (ed.), A New General Collection of Voyages and Travels (London, 1745-47), vol. 2, plate 64, facing p. 608.