Holding Pen or Cells for Slaves Awaiting Sale, Alexandria, Virginia, 1863


Click on the image to open a larger version in a new window.
previous image return to thumbnails next image

If you are interested in using this image, please consult Acknowledging the Website.

Image Reference
NW0246

Source
Published in E.D.C. Campbell, Jr. and K.S. Rice,eds., Before Freedom Came: African-american Life in the Antebellum South (Charlottesville, Univ. Press of Virginia, 1991), fig. 118, p. 138;original photograph located in Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress.

Comments
Photo of cells/pens where slaves were held prior to being sent to markets in the Lower South. Campbell and Rice write that slave traders in such upper south cities as Alexandria, Richmond, and Norfolk were the main suppliers of slaves for New Orleans, the largest slave market. In Alexandria, the "widely known firm of Price, Birch & Company collected slaves in crowded pens before they were 'sold south' " (p. 138). For a companion photo, see image Dugan-2 on this website