Houses of Plantation Slaves, South Carolinia, 1860


Click on the image to open a larger version in a new window.
previous image return to thumbnails next image

If you are interested in using this image, please consult Acknowledging the Website.

Image Reference
NW0259

Source
Scribner's Monthly (June 1874), vol. 8, p. 145. (Copy in Special Collections Department, University of Virginia Library)

Comments
This engraving in Scribner's is obviously derived from a stereograph taken in 1860 of the slave quarters on a South Carolina plantation, near Charleston; see Harvey Teal, Partners with the sun: South Carolina photographers, 1840-1940 (Univ. of South Carolina Press, 2000), pp. 276, 278. In any case, the Scribner's article notes that at the time of publication these cabins were located where mansions once stood; they were situated near the harbor, by King Street in Charleston. This illustration was also published in Edward King, The Great South (Hartford, Conn., 1875), p. 431, and later appeared in Ernst von Hesse-Wartegg, Mississippi-Fahrten [Travels on the lower Mississippi, 1879-1880](Leipzig, 1881). (Thanks to Keith Brady for his help in identifying the original source of this image.)